What are the stem cells?
It is possible to describe stem cells as ” new cells developers”- cells from which all other cells with specialized functions are generated.
Under the right conditions in the body or a laboratory, stem cells divide to form more cells called daughter cells. These daughter cells either become new stem cells (self-renewal) or become specialized cells (differentiation) with a more specific function, such as blood cells, brain cells, hair, heart muscle or bone. No other cell in the body has the natural ability to generate new cell types.
Why stem cells are such important?
Our bodies are made up of millions of cells. Many cells die or become damaged due to diseases, age, injuries… In this case, stem cells produce new cells and to heal affected / diseased tissue.
Stem cells have unique abilities such as proliferation, self-renewal, divide to specific cells -differentiated tissues, repairing damaged tissue.
For this reason stem cells are used for many treatments and esthetic applications in medicine.
Hair treatments with stem cells
We are using stem cells for hair treatments. It is possible to explain in 2 main headings :
• Hair threapy with stem cells
• Stem cells supported hair transplant
Understanding the hair growth cycle
It’s very important to understand the hair growth cycle in order to recognize and understand many of the problems you can encounter with your hair and how stem cells can help to solve this problems.
The hair growth cycle consists of 3 phases:
- Growth (anagen phase): Your hair grows around half an inch a month, and faster in the summer than in winter. The growth phase, or anagen phase, lasts an average of 3-5 years, so a full-length hair averages 18 to 30 inches. The anagen phase is generally longer in Asians, and can last as much as 7 years with hair being able to grow to 1 meter.
- Shedding (catagen phase): At the end of the anagen phase, your hair enters the catagen phase. A short transitional phase that lasts approximately 10 days.
- Resting (telogen phase): Lastly, your hair enters the telogen phase, a resting phase when your hair is released and falls out. The follicle then remains inactive for 3 months and the whole process is repeated. Each hair follicle is independent and goes through the growth cycle at different times, otherwise all your hair would fall out at once. Instead, you only shed a certain number of hairs a day – up to 80 hairs on a healthy head of hair.
Hair loss, hair thinning and problems with hair growth occur when your growth cycle is disrupted. This can be triggered by conditions such as metabolic imbalances, illness or improper nutrition. For instance, 6 weeks after restrictive dieting or a high fever you can experience telogen effluvium (diffuse hair fall). This occurs when your anagen phase is cut short and many hairs enter the telogen phase all at the same time. If your hair growth cycle is constantly challenged, or not supported, you may find that your hair won’t grow as long as it used to. This is because your hairs are never allowed to stay in the anagen (growing) phase long enough for your hairs to reach the desired length.
Stem cells therapy for hair
Stem cells divided to new hair cells and also increase blood flow (microcirculation) in the scalp and stimulate metabolism in catagen or telogen follicles. As a result hair loss can be stoped and hair will be healthy and strong.
How is stem cell therapy applicated for hair?
There are 2 ways that we can applied stem cells therapy for hair.
- Lipid – derived stem cells application
- Hair follicules – derived stem cells application
Lipid – derived stem cells application
Under general anesthesia our plastic surgeon take 100 cc (approximate a glass) fat from the patient with liposuction (generally from hip).
At GMP certificated lab. mesenchymal stem cells are separated with special methods. Approximately 100 million cells are obtained and at least 5% of them are stem cells. Then we applied this stem cell rich solution to patients scalp with little injections.
Lipid – derived stem cells application also can be done with FUE. whit ths way new grafts are supported to growth healthy and strong. Please click for detailed information
Hair follicules – derived stem cells application
Under local anesthesia, physician take a small sample from hair follicules (5-10 grafts). Then at GMP certificated lab (there is only a lab in İstanbul that can make hair fibrobalst) hair folicules stem cells are growth. It takes a month to have 30 million stem cells.
In 3 sessions (30 million stem cells in a session) total 90 million stem cells are applied to the patients scalp. Our patients can plan the sessions time according their travel plan. We can keep the growth stem cells at the lab during a year.
Hair follicules derived stem cells application is one of the the latest technology of medicine and very effective to stop hair loss.