- 1What’s the cost of hair transplantation?There are various factors influencing the cost of hair transplantations. The procedures to be performed in each patient widely differ. Therefore, the cost of the procedure depends on the patient. If you would like to have an estimate about your hair transplantation costs, you can send you picture by clicking here or contact us through e-mail or telephone to make an appointment for a free consult. While calculating the cost of hair transplantation, we consider the following points:
• Degree / phase of the hair loss
• Areas to be covered and their characteristics (hairline – top of the head-crown – scarring)
• The result you desire (design of the hairline and closing the angle at the temple)
• The desired density
• Any previous hair transplantations. If you have undergone a hair transplantation in our clinic before and are dissatisfied with the results, we perform the revision transplantations free of charge.
• Condition of the donor area
• Presence of a plastic surgery scar or wound scar
- 2Does hair transplantation really work?There are support products and local treatments to support thinning and weakened hair. These methods strengthen the existing hair follicles. However, in case of permanent hair loss, the only existing solution is hair transplantation. No shampoos, lotions or drugs other than hair transplantation can lead to the formation of new hair follicles. Hair transplantation involves the transfer of healthy hair follicles to the bald spots and it definitely works! The main principle of hair transplantation is rather simple: the hair in the donor area (between both ears at the back of the head) is genetically protected against hair loss. These healthy roots are transplanted to the bold spots. The new follicles are permanent and continue to produce hair. It should not be forgotten that hair transplantation has been in use worldwide since the 1900s with different methods. There are support products and local treatments to support thinning and weakened hair. These methods strengthen the existing hair follicles. However, in case of permanent hair loss, the only existing solution is hair transplantation. No shampoos, lotions or drugs other than hair transplantation can lead to the formation of new hair follicles. Hair transplantation involves the transfer of healthy hair follicles to the bald spots and it definitely works! The main principle of hair transplantation is rather simple: the hair in the donor area (between both ears at the back of the head) is genetically protected against hair loss. These healthy roots are transplanted to the bold spots. The new follicles are permanent and continue to produce hair. It should not be forgotten that hair transplantation has been in use worldwide since the 1900s with different methods.
- 3Can everyone have a hair transplantation?Hair transplantation is used in the treatment of the individuals with hereditary boldness. Individuals who have hair loss due to diseases such as alopecia areata (patched hair loss) or behavioural problems such as trichotillomania (an impulse disorder characterized by the compulsive urge to pull out one’s hair, leading to noticeable hair loss and balding) cannot undergo a hair transplantation.Thus, not every person with hair on the sides of his/her head and at the nape of her neck is eligible for hair transplantation. A comprehensive consult face to face with the physician is definitely necessary to assess each patient. The patient should be informed about what can and cannot be achieved through hair transplantation. The physician should clearly understand the patient’s expectations. Will I have a natural appearance after the hair transplantation? Hair transplantation is not only a medical intervention. The physician performing the surgery should have a high esthetic vision and skill. The alignment of the hairline, placement and direction of the hair follicles in the transplant area and the homogeneous elevation of the follicles from the donor area should be performed individually according to the anatomic features of the patient. Thus, a natural result can be achieved. How long does the hair transplantation surgery last? The duration of the hair transplantation surgery is approximately 6-8 hours. Is hair transplantation a painful operation? The surgery is performed under local anesthesia and the only thing you will feel is the injection of the anesthetic. You can spend the first night after the surgery comfortably with the help of a single painkiller.
- 4What is a mega session?Operations where more than 3000 hair strands are transplanted in one session are called mega sessions. Through this method, a large number of hair strands can be transplanted to the bald spots and maximum density can be achieved in a single session without needing multiple sessions.
- 5What is high density hair transplantation?This is the art of placing the follicular units (grafts) individually to achieve a natural and intensive appearance. It defines the design of the hair line without large spaces between hair strands. If a high density transplantation has not been performed during the first session, a natural appearance is achieved at the second and third sessions by transplanting on strand of hair at every centimetre. The number of the follicular units (grafts) transplanted per square centimetre depend on certain factors including the characteristics of the hair and hair follicle, ethnicity, hair colour, hair thickness and the size of the transplant area. High density hair transplantation is a great method enabling very dense placement of the follicular units without compromising hair growth and the angle and diameter of placement.
- 6What is shock loss?Shock loss is a term used for the temporary hair loss observed in the areas surrounding the transplanted hair (the hair around the bold spots). This is a temporary condition resulting by the stress caused by the incisions made for the transplantation. The same condition may be observed in case of a cut in the arm and the body hair around the cut may fall for a temporary period. Hair strands lost after shock loss will grow back soon.
- 7How is the success rate between the elevated grafts and the transplanted grafts calculated in case of hair transplantations?The breakage/loss rate (hair transection) in the grafts we elevated is the damage rate of the grafts elevated from the donor area to be transplanted. Damaged grafts cannot be transplanted. This breakage occurs as the hair follicle is removed from the donor area. A breakage rate of 7-10% s acceptable; i.e. 7-10% of the hair follicles elevated from the donor area may be damaged. Growth rate is the viability ratio of the transplanted hair strands in the transplant area. This ratio is affected by the shortages in the preservation of the follicular units (grafts) before the transplant, and their misplacement or any damages that occur during the procedure. The patients’ failure to follow the instructions subsequent to the operation is another external factor affecting the growth rate. For a successful transplant, the growth rate should be 90% or above.
- 8Can I have more than one hair transplantation?The maximum number of grafts to be obtained from one person is 8000, corresponding approximately to 16000 hair strands. This number cannot be transplanted in one session and neither is it ethical to perform such a surgery. Multiple sessions may be needed to achieve this number. In general 2500-3500 grafts (approximately 5000- 7000 hair strands) are transplanted in one session. In mega sessions, more than 3000 grafts may be transplanted. Satisfactory results in the medium and long term can only be achieved this way.
- 9Do I need multiple hair transplants?Factors such as the patient’s age, phase of the loss, and progress rate of the hair loss determine the need for multiple hair transplantations. While a single session is adequate in certain patients, some patients may require a second operation after many years. The need for the second hair transplantation depends on the quality of the initial operation. If a person has undergone a high-quality and successful hair transplantation, s/he may not need a second surgery for long years.
- 10Will there be any scarring after the hair transplantation?Scarring depends on the extraction method used (to elevate the hair follicles). In the strip method used formerly (FUT), there would be scar in the form of a line at the back of the head (the donor area). Therefore, it is not possible to wear your hair short after the strip method (FUT). The scarring after the hair transplantation using FUE is so minimal that these scars are invisible to the naked eye even if the head is totally shaven.
- 11When does the transplanted hair grow?It takes 1 week for the newly transplanted hair to settle in the skin and vascularise. Hair strands start to grow after one month, only to fall. It is normal for the transplanted strands to fall during the first month following the operation. The transplanted hair follicles (grafts) go through a 3-4 month resting phase before growing back. After that, the hair grows normally and 3-4 months after the surgery, the hair growth reaches a monthly rate of 10%. After 12 months, this growth rate is 90%. The remaining 10% catch up after 6 months. SO, the end result is observed after 1 year to 18 months.
- 12Is there an ideal age interval for hair transplantation? Am I too young for hair transplantation?
No. Hair transplantation through the FUE technique can be performed at any age and to any gender. Some clinics recommend other methods for younger patients. However, the determining factor is the characteristics of the individual patient rather than the age. Thus, the diagnosis also differs between individuals. It should not be forgotten that not every hair loss requires a hair transplantation. In hair transplantation, age is not the determining factor. Also considering the future hair loss, if the number of the grafts in the donor area is adequate to cover the required transplantation area, you may be a suitable candidate. If you hair loss affects your self confidence, As the IHI, we are here to give you every support.
- 13Does every clinic apply the FUE method in hair transplantation? What’s the most suitable method?Numerous clinics worldwide are still using the strip method (also called the FUT technique). In Turkey, many clinics are using the FUE technique, since more dense and natural results are achieved with this method. One of the reasons to prefer FUE is that – unlike the FUT – it does not cause any scarring. In the Istanbul Hair Institute, we achieve satisfactory results for you using the FUE method.
- 14What is the FUE method? What is the difference of the FUE method from the other techniques?
Hair transplantation through FUE involves the elevation of the follicular units, or the grafts, from the donor area using special surgical tools. This procedure does not cause visible scarring. Patients who undergo hair transplantations using the FUE method can wear short hairstyles later. In the strip or the FUT method, the scalp at the donor area is totally excised and transferred to the bold spot. After the hairy scalp has been excised, this area is sutured. The horizontal scar along the back of the head is rather apparent and the hair should be worn long to cover this scar.
- 15Is FUE an invasive procedure?Hair transplantation through the FUE method is a minimally invasive intervention, since no incisions or sutures are needed. On the contrary, the FUT is a totally invasive method. A long and deep incision is made in order to elevate the grafts from the donor area and this incision is closed with a suture.
- 16How long is the healing period?In hair transplantations with the FUE method, the healing is much more rapid compared to the FUT method. The healing period in FUT depends on the size of the incision.
- 17Will I have much pain after the procedure?In general, hair transplantation with the FUE method is not painful for the patient. The donor and transplant areas heal rapidly and the risk of infection is low. The FUT method is generally painful and a minimum healing period of 1 month is required. The risk of infection is comparatively high
- 18What are the advantages of selecting the grafts (follicular unit)?The FUE method allows for the selection of the grafts individually. The grafts may be chosen in the way required in the transplant area, leading to natural results. In the FUT method, it is not possible to select the grafts. The hairy scalp is excised in a single block from the donor area. Thus it is not possible to choose the grafts according to the characteristics of the transplant area.
- 19What if I had an operation using the FUT method before?What if I had an operation using the FUT method before?
Hair transplantation with the FUE method helps to cover the scars caused by the FUT method. I have already had a hair transplantation with the FUT method. Is is possible to lift grafts from my donor area again? Yes, it is possible with the FUE method. Even if grafts have been elevated using the FUT method, it is possible to obtain new grafts using the FUE method. But this is not possible with the FUT method.
- 20Are the results permanent?The grafts obtained from the donor area are genetically protected against hair loss. When these grafts are transplanted to the bold spots, they continue to grow lifelong.
- 21Will I look completely natural after the hair transplantation?
When hair transplantation is performed skilfully, the result is so natural that even your hairdresser cannot understand the difference. The success of the operation is directly associated with the skills of the physician and the team performing the surgery. Choosing the right technique and the right clinic is of utmost importance in order to achieve a totally natural result. Ait is also important to select the right clinic for the first hair transplantation (if the wrong method or clinic is chosen for the first operation, a revision will become more difficult since the donor area is impacted).
- 22Do you transplant eyebrows? How successful are the results of eyebrow transplants? Does it have any disadvantages?It is possible to perform a successful eyebrow transplantation by increasing the density and enlarging the area. Eyebrow transplantations are usually performed in a single session and you can return home on the same day. Eyebrows can later be trimmed once or twice as a routine care.
- 23Will I be conscious during the operation?Yes, you will be conscious during the operation. You can listen to music or watch TV. On the other hand, some patients prefer to relax and sleep. We apply local anesthesia during the surgery.
- 24Do I have to cut my hair for the surgery?Istanbul Hair Institute provides two alternatives for the operation: In the standard procedure, the head is fully shaven. In the second alternative, only an invisible area behind the head is shaven. The surgery involves two main sections: The elevation of the grafts and the transplantation of the grafts. In the surgical alternative where the head is not shaven, the elevation and transplantation of the grafts takes a longer time. The grafts can be lifted from and transplanted into a limited area. Therefore, this method is preferred if the transplant area is smaller. Individuals with jobs where they are in the public eye may prefer the non-shaven alternative no matter how long the operation takes. The standard procedure where the head is shaven requires less time and less labour. Moreover, the grafts can be elevated from and transplanted into larger areas. Since the method requires less time and effort, its cost is also lower. SO, both procedures have their advantages.
- 25What are the pre-op Instructions?
Wash your hair the night before or the morning of your surgery. • Please do not add any gels or other hair product after washing and drying your hair. • Eat a meal prior to operation. • Please arrive at the center at your scheduled appointment time. • Wear a shirt or clothing that buttons down the front. Do not wear a T-shirt or clothing that must be pulled over the head. • Local anesthetic will be applied during the operation. (ie will not feel any pain, but you will be awake). The operation takes about 6-8 hours so if you want you can bring your favorite videos and/or DVDs to watch during your surgery. Please refrain from taking any of the following medications and/or vitamins prior to surgery for the time period specified: Aspirin or aspirin containing products | For 1 week prior to surgery. Vitamin E | For a minimum of 1 week. Ginko Biloba | For 1 week prior to surgery. Please refrain from doing any of the following prior to surgery for the time specified: Alcohol Consumption | For 3 days prior to surgery. Caffeine Consumption | For 3 days prior to surgery. Strenuous Exercise | For 1 week prior to surgery.
- 26What are the post-op instructions?
Medications: Start taking your medications as prescribed below on the evening of your surgery. And no alcohol consumption while using your drugs • Slight bleeding or oozing may occur from the donor area where the sutures are placed If much bleeding or bleeding persists long time please contact your doctor. • This is a surgical procedure and swelling does occur. The degree of swelling varies with each patient from mild to pronounce. Swelling occurs because during the operation some saline are applied under the skin and these saline move in the downward direction due to gravity. So they create swelling on your forehead. In this case, you can apply ice compress • Sleep with your head elevated at a 45 degree angle for 3 nights following surgery. This can be done by sleeping in a recliner or by using at least 3 pillows supporting your back and neck in bed. • For ten days after your procedure, refrain from any strenuous activities that would increase your blood pressure, i.e. jogging, weightlifting, and sexual activity. When picking up items from the floor, bend at the knees while keeping your back straight to avoid having your head go below the level of your heart. • Three days after the operation, you wil start to wash your hair. Please follow the instructions that your doctor told. • Crusts or scabs will naturally begin to fall off within the first week following your procedure. Do not scratch or pick at these crusts because you may accidentally remove a graft or cause an infection. All the crusts will fallen off in 7-10 days.. • You should not be exposed to the sun without protection during the first three months. When you are under the sun, please wear a hat. And also you should not go to solarium. • You should not swim in the pool or sea. And should not go to sauna for a month after the operation.